Wednesday, June 22, 2011

De Gea motivated by United interest

Atletico Madrid goalkeeper David De Gea has says the possibility of becoming one of the world's most expensive goalkeepers if he joins Manchester United gives him more motivation.

De Gea, who is currently on duty with the Spanish Under-21 team at the European Championships in Denmark, is widely believed to be the man United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is targeting to replace Edwin van der Sar, who retired at the end of the season.

"I feel incredibly motivated by the fact that Manchester United are thinking about me," De Gea said. "I like the fact that they are considering me as a replacement for a goalkeeper of Edwin van der Sar's calibre. I hope I will still be playing when I am his age. It is hard to look so far ahead but it is something I want to do."

"I will need to keep on striving and working hard, as I am still in the outset of my career, and I still have much to do at this level. The fact that I could become one of the most expensive goalkeepers ever does not interest me. The value that really counts is what you do on the pitch."

The 20-year-old keeper has already made 84 total appearances in goal for Los Colchoneros in just two seasons at the Estadio Vicente Calderon. Atletico Madrid finished seventh in the La Liga table this year, just missing out on a spot in next season's Europa League.

No comments:

Post a Comment