Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Emotional Henry: This is a dream come true (plus video of THAT goal)


Thierry Henry described it as a “dream come true” after completing a fairytale return for Arsenal.

Supersub Henry scored the 78th-minute winner as he was given an incredible reception reserved for a returning hero.

Henry, signed on loan from New York Red Bulls, is already Arsenal’s record goalscorer and he extended his tally to 227 goals for the club with a typically brilliant finish.

And the World Cup winner said: “It’s kind of weird. I only came back from holiday from Mexico 16 days ago. I didn’t think I would play for Arsenal again let alone score a winner again.

“I love the club. I want to help out and hopefully I can do more. I hope it won’t be the last one. The feeling I had when I scored was amazing.

“I am enjoying the club as a fan. I wasn’t before. Scoring a goal when you support a team - now I know what the guys at Chelsea, Liverpool, United feel when they score for the club they support.

“I think it’s a joke that I got man of the match. That’s how it goes. With one opportunity, it’s very important. You have to make sure you take it. I took it well.

“I will always remember [this night]. I don’t know why, but when it comes to Arsenal, something happens with me. Sometimes in a bad way, but most of the way in history in a good way.”

Henry, who scored his 12th goal in 12 games against Leeds, latched onto Alex Song’s pass and struck a perfect shot into the bottom corner to ease Arsenal into the FA Cup fourth round and book them a home tie with Aston Villa.

It brought the whole stadium to its feet just 10 minutes after Henry also received a standing ovation when he came on as a second half substitute.

Arsenal had laboured against Leeds’ resilient defence and it took Henry’s magic to force a dramatic result.

Wenger finally brought on Henry with time running out and the returning hero made it a dream comeback at the Emirates.

"It was a little bit of a dream, because it was a story about football you would tell some young children," said the Arsenal boss.

"Unfortunately it is not often like that in our game, but sometimes it happens."

The Arsenal manager continued: "When he got in that position I thought, 'Oh, that's your angle', but it was a bit too close. That is where he surprised me.

"He still didn't force the shot, he still made it look easy.

"At the start I thought he was too much on the left, but he had that special finishing that he has shown tonight.

"That was the Thierry Henry finishing."

Wenger had rested captain Robin van Persie for the tie, allowing the Dutchman some time away on a family break to Dubai.

The Gunners boss could throw both the dynamic front men together when the Premier League campaign resumes at Swansea on Sunday.

"Thierry can play behind or in front of Robin or on the flank, Robin can play on the flank too, but I don't know yet what I will do. They can play together, of course, and they did play together," said Wenger.

Meanwhile, Wenger was dealt a new defensive injury blow as makeshift right back Francis Coquelin limped off with a hamstring problem in the first half.

Arsenal are already without Bacary Sagna, Andre Santos, Carl Jenkinson, Kieran Gibbs and Thomas Vermaelen who are all out injured and Coquelin presents a new headache ahead of Sunday’s trip to Swansea.

German centre-half Per Mertesacker also missed the game with a virus, which meant youngster Nico Yennaris came on and could be thrust into Premier League action this weekend unless Wenger goes into the transfer market.

See Henry's goal here:

No comments:

Post a Comment