Friday, September 23, 2011

Nani: I want to be world's best

Manchester United winger Nani hopes to take another step toward his long-term goal of becoming the best player in the world by having the best year of his career.

Nani started the campaign in blistering form, scoring a brace in the Community Shield, including the last-minute winner against Manchester City as United came back from two goals down.

The Portugal international then bagged his first league goal of the campaign in an 8-2 romp over Arsenal, before firing in an excellent first-half effort in last weekend's victory over Chelsea. It augurs well as Nani aims to take his game to a new level alongside the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.

"That's one dream I've got: to be the best in the world," he told Inside United.

"But I don't let it frustrate me. I have other priorities like winning trophies with the team.

"Hopefully, when I have finished playing football, people will say 'Nani was a fantastic player who won a lot of titles and beat records at the club'.

"I know I have the condition to be among the select best players in the world but I have to work hard and show that."

Nani will hope to maintain that form against Stoke on Saturday, aided by the arrival of Ashley Young, whose preference for playing on the left has again released him onto the opposite flank.

The 24-year-old now has his sights set on surpassing his feats of last season, when he ended the campaign with more Premier League assists than any other player.

"Last year was my best year, definitely my most consistent season. Now I hope this is my year. I will do my best.

"If I am fit for every game, I am 100% sure I will do my best and will do well for my team.

"This is a big chance to show I can do much more; that I'm a good player with a very strong mentality," he said.


By ESPNsoccernet staff

No comments:

Post a Comment