Saturday, February 25, 2012

Aguero: Tevez key to title


Sergio Aguero believes the return of strike partner Carlos Tevez to be an important part of Manchester City's tilt for silverware this season.

Tevez has apologised to manager Roberto Mancini for his behaviour following his refusal to warm up during a Champions League clash in Munich last year, leaving the Argentine available for selection. Tevez left for his homeland without the club's consent after the incident, and Aguero says the arrival of his compatriot will give City the edge over second-placed Manchester United.

"I prefer things with him in the squad because he is a very important player for us," Aguero told The Sun. "I spoke a few times with him while he was absent. He is a super professional and it was up to him to decide about his future.

"I am happy he is back. I think his return could be important for us in the decisive period of this season. He has been one of the best forwards in world football over the last few years. City need all the players we have to try and win titles. It's difficult because in the Premier League opponents do not concede ground easily.

"The race for the title is in our own hands. If we maintain our rhythm I don't think Manchester United can pass us. And to win both the Premier and the Europa leagues will fulfil all my dreams."

Aguero has 15 goals for the season, and will be looking to close the gap on the Premier League's leading marksman Robin van Persie when City take on Blackburn this Saturday. However, the 23-year-old claims he is not seeking personal glory in his first season in English football after making a switch from Atletico Madrid last summer.

"If I'm honest I didn't believe I would score so many goals as I adapted to playing in England. The figures are fantastic and I am very happy.

"A race with RVP? It is not easy but my dream is to win the Premier League title first," said Aguero.


By ESPNsoccernet staff

No comments:

Post a Comment